Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bonking to de-blob

About two or three months ago, I started noticing that my clothes were fitting a bit too tight, and even my upgraded bras were kind oh, hmmmm, overflowing. Soooooo, being as pretentious as I am, I got worried.

I decided to face the truth. I stepped on the evil, dreaded, and always truth-telling scale. And I had a moment….. A HOLY FUCKING SHIT moment… Yes, it was THAT bad. I had never seen those obscene numbers before. And, of course, pretentious girl over here completely and absolutely freaked out.

Being the drama queen I am, I downloaded not one, not two, but at least 6 phone apps to control weight and count calories, and tried them all. As excessive as this was, it actually was a good thing. I got to compare and keep the one I liked the best: It was the one that basically has any food you may think of in its calorie counts database, and it’s the most strict you may found in terms of calories “allowance” as well.

The thing is, I discover that this counting calories stuff really works. I lost 12 pounds in about a month and a half or two months, and I got to my lowest weight in several years. Then friendsgivings, more friendsgivings, thanksgiving at work, real thanksgiving and my birthday, all sprinkled with various dinners and get-togethers with friends stepped in and the weight loss process stopped and even reverted a bit, but I got it reeled in and I is now back on track.

The best part is that my "oh, too tight" clothes are closer to the "oh, too loose" side of the spectrum now (yay!). So, my pretentious self is super happy and feeling hot. I got greedy though and I am aiming now for some additional 8-10 pounds less… Hey, I need to fit in a bikini when I go to Chile now in December, so I have no choice, right? RIGHT? Ok, shuddup.

Now, the not so good part is that, those 12 pounds down are not only fat, but also quite a bit of muscle. This means that every single time I get on the bike, I bonk (*). BIG BIG TIME BONK. And, beyond bonking, I have lost any power I may have ever had in my legs. Sigh. I find myself all inspired on my bike, laying out my best “speed” face, feeling like I am doing a great effort and getting an awesome workout... And then I take a look down at the bike computer and see... (gasp)... 15mph. Yeah. Pathetic.

Oh, well. It’s the off-season. Base miles, right? I am hoping that by March, through riding and lifting, I'll have my power back and will be skinny like an spaghetti without the meatballs. We'll see.

(*) What the hell is “bonk”? You may ask. Wikipedia, divine source of all knowledge, says:
"In endurance sports such as cycling and running, hitting the wall or the bonk describes a condition caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles, which manifests itself by sudden fatigue and loss of energy. Milder instances can be remedied by brief rest and the ingestion of food or drinks containing carbohydrates. The condition can usually be avoided by ensuring that glycogen levels are high when the exercise begins, maintaining glycogen levels during exercise by eating or drinking carbohydrate-rich substances, or by reducing exercise intensity."

No comments: